Thursday 19 May 2016

Shampoo/conditioner Reviews For Thick Hair


For anybody else out there with incredibly thick hair you will most likely feel my pain on trying to find a shampoo and conditioner that cleans and rinses properly the density of your hair and doesn't leave a greasy or unclean feel, (unless you are incredibly lucky and found a decent one on your first buy). 
Both my parents have extremely thick hair and my Dad in his younger days used to rock an afro so I never really stood a chance of having normal thickness of hair - haha!
Don't get me wrong though, I feel incredibly lucky to have thick hair as I know some peoples are very thin and they spend a lot of money trying to get it thicker.
I have considered getting it thinned in the past but never have as it scares me that the thickness would never grow back and I'd regret it :(

In photos my hair doesn't appear that thick it's more until you actually touch it that you realise how much there is on my head!
But I will insert a couple of photos anyway so you can kind of get an idea...


So this is my hair freshly washed and blow dried upside down.
(Please ignore my dressing gown hahaaa).
This is the best photo I could find that shows the how thick my hair is so hopefully this gives you the general jist.



But then once straightened it just looks like normal hair - does that make sense?
Not that it ever stays that straight for long and ends up looking like the photo above - especially in the rain.

My aim is to help out anybody who - like me - finds shopping for hair cleaning products so difficult due to the type of hair we have!
I'm not one to spend a lot on products but feel like you get what you paid for in cosmetics so there is a mixture of price ranges but nothing too high-end.
I have tried all these myself so I'm reviewing how I found them to work on my hair, so hopefully some of you may find this helpful :)  


This was one of the first shampoos I started buying with my own money when I got my first job - back in the day!
It's super cheap and has a very strong apple smell which I used to get a lot of compliments on after washing my hair, which is always nice.
Unfortunately you do get what you pay for on this so for my hair this left it feeling quite dry and greasy the next day after washing.

Brand: Alberto Balsam
Shops: Boots, Superdrug, Tesco, etc
Price: Around £2 per bottle
Good bits: Smells great! And very cheap.
Not so good bits: Get what you pay for, leaves hair feeling a bit dry and greasy the next day, a lot is needed to wash thicker hair.


This was my favourite shampoo and conditioner for so long.
It smells really clean, fresh and is creamy and thick which helped it get through the thickness of my hair when washing.
I used this for a long long time and it seemed to be working great until my scalp started to look greasy straight after washing and blow-drying. 
At first I thought I hadn't been rinsing my hair properly but after a while - and the hair was still coming out the same - I  tried washing my hair using the same techniques just with a different shampoo (I used my boyfriends shampoo haha!) which proved once and for all that it was the Pantene shampoo making my hair greasy :(  
This could just be my hair type not reacting well to the shampoo after a lot of uses but I had to stop using it because it was noticeably greasy looking.

Brand: Pantene
Shops: Boots, Superdrug, Supermarkets
Price: £3.99
Good bits: Fresh smelling, cheap and creamy so gets through thick hair!
Not so good bits: After a lot of uses gave my scalp a greasy-look.



I purchased this shampoo and conditioner set to try and deep clean my hair and get rid of the greasiness that the Pantene one had given me.
It's a bit more pricey than a normal shampoo as it's a little bit more 'high end,' butt the bottle is huge and lasts for ages!
This is a great shampoo but one that I found for thick hair you only want to use once or twice a month just for a cleanse, as I found using this everyday or every other day much too heavy for thick hair and it gives it that weighed down and flat look which is not great!

Brand: Tresemme
Shops: Boots, Superdrug, some supermarkets
Price: £5 per bottle
Good bits: Smells great and gives your hair a good deep clean. Comes in a huge bottle so it lasts a long time.
Not so good bits: Can't use it everyday as it makes your hair a little heavy and flat, and more on the pricey side.


As I loved the Deep Cleanse Tresemme shampoo I went into Superdrug and looked at the other products they do and came away with this one. It made my hair SUPER soft and shiny and worked well with my thick hair.
If you have dry hair or just want to give your hair a bit more of a shine this one is great to use, although I would recommend only using it every other day or so rather than everyday as it's quite heavy and you don't want that flat look that I got from the Deep Cleansing shampoo!

Brand: Tresemme
Shops: Boots, Superdrug, some supermarkets
Price: £5 per bottle
Good bits: Makes your hair super soft and shiny, comes in a huge bottle so lasts ages!
Not so good bits: Bit more on the pricey side, and can make hair seem heavy if used too often.


Recently I started using this shampoo and although I love the smell and texture of this one, I feel like it doesn't work well with thicker hair types. 
A lot is needed to get through the thickness of my hair meaning the bottles ran out very quickly which worked out expensive to keep buying new bottles over and over. My hair also felt a little bit dry on the ends after blow-drying even though I always put extra conditioner on my ends to help them stay fresh. 
I think this would be perfect for thinner hair types - especially if you want a strong smelling shampoo!

Brand: Ultimate Blends
Shops: Boots, Superdrug
Price: roughly £3.99 per bottle
Good bits: Smells amazing, contains nice natural ingredients, well priced
Not so good bits: A lot is needed for thick hair, doesn't last very long, only sold in drugstores and not all supermarkets :( 


I came across this shampoo in my local supermarket when looking for a replacement shampoo as my current one (Ultimate Blends) had ran out, and ended up going back a few days later for the conditioner because I loved it so much!!
I'm using this currently and although I've only washed my hair in it two or three times I am obsessed.
I love strong fresh/clean smelling shampoos rather than fruity scented ones so this is perfect for me. It gives off a extremely fresh smell that you get wafts of during the day after washing which I especially like.
Although I bought this whilst on sale it is priced pretty well and the bottles are a nice size that should last a long while.
The texture of the shampoo is creamy and thick which works so well with my hair type. I put a decent amount (but not too much conditioner) into my hand, rub it through my hair and then comb it through to make sure it's got right into the middle and then rinse.
It's also extremely easy to rinse which is a god-send when having thick hair as this is usually the longest part of my shower - making sure everything is rinsed out of mountains of hair! 

Brand: L'oreal
Shops: Tescos/supermarkets, Superdrug, Boots
Price: £3.99 per bottle
Good bits: Smells AMAZING and fresh, good sized bottle, good price, thick and creamy which gets through thick hair nicely!
Not so good bits: None to find just yet...

Molly
xox 


<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/14375113/?claim=tfbmh23c5kr">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>


Where else to find me - 

Twitter - @daffodilsdaisys

 Instagram - @riddikulus___
















No comments:

Post a Comment