Thursday 17 December 2015

Apps & Audiobooks

                                                                             
We all love sleep...right?
I wake up in the morning, wanting to stay in bed and carry on sleeping, spend all day at work thinking about going home to bed (or even falling asleep on my break because I'm so tired) and then get home and get ready for bed, get into bed and BAM I'm wide awake.
Anybody else??

It's the most annoying habit I have got myself into. Especially as my body clock now thinks 1-2am is an appropriate time to be going to sleep every night - even when I have to be up at 6am the next morning.

This excessively over a few months has led to me feeling dizzy, sick and constantly tired all day everyday, so I have been trying out new ways of helping myself sleep and get into a a more regular - and normal - sleeping pattern. 

I downloaded a couple of free apps to start with, 


The 'Sleep Well' app plays a 30 minute clip of a lady talking about insomnia and the different types of sleep, in which she then gives you exercises to do which include breathing patterns tensing your muscles one by one whilst lying in bed which helps your body to relax. I've never actually heard the end of the clip as I'm normally asleep by the time it finishes, so it definitely works for me. I find with this one you don't even need to do the exercises she is telling you, just her voice is very soothing so if that sort of thing sends you to sleep you can always just listen to it (personally I find voices really relaxing so I normally just listen).

The 'Calm' app I discovered through watching one of Zoe Sugg's vlogs where she mentioned it. 
This app has different sound clips on it which just play constantly until you turn it off. My personal favourite sound is 'Rain On Leaves' which just sounds like a rainy day and its so soothing and relaxing. If you're not into that theres also sounds of waves on a beach, birds singing and water running through a lake. 

I used both of these apps for a few weeks and they seemed to help me fall asleep quickly and for a long time so I'd generally be having a full nights sleep, yet I still found myself going to sleep super late so it wasn't really helping me get to bed earlier.

Last night whilst lying and staring at the ceiling wide awake at 1am, I had the idea of downloading an audiobook to listen to in bed. (I downloaded it from the iBooks app that automatically comes on an iPhone).
I knew I needed a book that I was interested in so decided to buy the audio version of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban read by Stephen Fry (who actually surprisingly has a lovely reading voice!). The book takes a massive 12 hours and 33 minutes to listen to all the way through and it was still playing when I woke up 10 hours later but it definitely did the trick!

By choosing a book I am interested in I am hoping will encourage me to want to go to bed to carry on listening to the story..this is my theory. So fingers toes, arms and legs crossed this will work as I don't actually think getting 5 hours sleep a night is healthy anymore...whoops!

Does anyone else have problems with sleeping? If so, what are your methods for helping yourself sleep?I'd love to know, and willing to try pretty much anything (within reason) at the moment.

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/14375113/?claim=tfbmh23c5kr">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>


Where else to find me - 

Twitter - @mloggee

Personal Instagram - @riddikulus_

No comments:

Post a Comment