Saturday 5 September 2015

Late night book review & discovering reading again

It's currently 11pm, I'm sat in bed under the duvet and a blanket, wearing fluffy bed socks, my pajamas and my big white dressing gown with bear ears on the hood watching late night television, and its so COLD outside. But I'm not complaining..because this surely means Autumn and Winter is on the way..RIGHT?! I've even bought a couple of Christmas-smelling candles and been burning them in my bedroom. It's definitely not too early in the year is it? (Thoughts below please..personally I think not ;))

Anyways going back on topic. I thought I'd do a little book review tonight. Being in a different country with people who don't speak the same language as you for two weeks and zero WiFi connection showed me the beauty of reading again. As a child I used to read A LOT, to the point where I used to spend some of my lunch breaks at school sat in the library reading book after book. Whenever we went out for the day I always took a book with me and read in the car and at any spare moment that I could. Now being older and working full time and ridiculously long hours and days I don't have the time to read as much as I would like to. Before bed I am just too tired to even pick up a book and during the day I'm working. 
If you follow my social media you would have noticed that I am a huge fan and lover of Harry Potter. I grew up with the stories and spent my child hood waiting eagerly for the next book to come out and when it did, just locking myself away and reading non-stop until I had finished it. I was OBSESSED. Now all the books and films have been released I've since read the book series about 3-4 times and sometimes go back every now and then to re-read my favourite chapters and scenes. (I am actually visiting the Harry Potter Warner Bros Studio Tour in London in December - for the second time - to see Hogwarts at Christmas I'm SO excited..so keep you eyes peeled for a blog post about that day as I'm sure there will be one!) 
So when it came to going on holiday I was tempted to pack a couple of Harry Potter books to read by the pool and on the aeroplane but decided to try something different and read something completely new and by an author I had never heard of before, rather than once again going back to the same books - no matter how much I love them.
I came across One Small Act of Kindness by Lucy Dillon by accident when shopping in Tesco. It was about £3.99 and the front cover drew me in by looking so simple and cute. I bought it without really thinking much into it and packed it away straight into my suitcase to take on holiday..and I'm SO glad I did!



I LOVE everything about this book. 
Firstly its such a decent size to hold comfortably. That sounds strange but some books I find so skinny that they just get annoying and your constantly turning the page because theres hardly any words to read on the slim little pages! But this one was just the perfect size, (with the perfect amount of words;)).

Secondly the Author Lucy Dillon has the most lovely writing style. This is the first book I have read by her but I have recently ordered two more of her books simply because I love how light-hearted and sweet her stories are, (I'm now currently reading a hundred pieces of me). One of the reviews behind the front cover reads 'A book you'll read into the early hours, full of warmth, love and bravery' and this pretty much sums it up for me too. I just couldn't put the book down, by the pool, at the dinner table, in the car, on the aeroplane, in bed, and sometimes even sat with my feet dangling in the pool whilst everyone else was swimming..I stayed out just to read what happened next! I normally look after books really well but this one is a complete mess now. It was constantly getting splashed whilst being by the pool so its gone a bit crispy and bendy, and I think a few pages even have smudges from where I was eating and reading..but hey ho. And it had a few rips but..it did travel to a different country and back!
I think this also proves just how much I have missed reading, especially a story I have never read before and not knowing whats on the next page, its just the best thing!

I don't want to ruin the story line for you as I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a light-hearted easy to read story with a little bit of humour (which comes lovingly in the form of the dog Lord Bob himself) and twists here and there, but I'll just give you a little basic insight into what its all about by showing you the blurb below.. :)



If you have a love for interior design like me then this book will aid your decorating-imagination (if that's even a thing..) as they talk about re-decorating the hotel and designing all the rooms. I just wanted to jump inside the book and help them to do it all!
Apart from the hotel side of the story, there is also this mysterious girl who looses her memory and is left not knowing who she is or anything about herself. For me her story kept me gripped to the book wanting to find out everything about her and discover all the things she had forgotten. The hotel links to her story and theres a few little twists to how and why the couple running the hotel end up being more linked to her than you first thought.
The characters are so easy to like, and so easy to picture and imagine in your head whilst reading. The author gives you a real insight and description of each one to help make the story come alive, and it just works!

I just have to mention this also, but this book has the BEST book smell I've ever smelt. Call me weird, but I always do the smell test on books and this one is in the top ten ;). Other people do this right?

Thankyou once and once again for all your support on my blog.

Molly

xox

Update 10.09.15

Since writing this post I tweeted it and tagged the author of the book and she replied! Which is lovely of her. :)




 <a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/14375113/?claim=tfbmh23c5kr">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

Where else to find me - 

Twitter - @mloggee

Personal Instagram - @riddikulus___


No comments:

Post a Comment