Monday 20 March 2017

Tips For Visiting The Blue Lagoon - Iceland

The Blue Lagoon is an amazing place to visit and a HUGE tourist attraction for holiday makers exploring Iceland.

If you're not familiar with what the Blue Lagoon is exactly it is simply a spa heating completely by nature using Geothermal Water, (freshwater and seawater combined at a high temperature).
Iceland use Geothermal power plants to heat water and to create electricity around the country - all completely naturally! 
(Believe me, you'll never have your hair feel cleaner after washing it in Iceland!).
Over time and as the location became more popular and more and more people wanted to come and try out this strange pool, it became more of a tourist attraction and is now complete with changing rooms, a cafe and a bar right in the middle for ordering drinks whilst relaxing in the water.

When my boyfriend and I decided we wanted to go to Iceland for this years holiday The Blue Lagoon was at the top of my list of places to go (not so much for him haha).
I have written a blog post previously about our holiday which you can read here.


So if you're thinking of going heres a few tips and bits to expect whilst you're there.


o Take money 
We paid for a standard visit which is 5400 Icelandic Krona (don't panic that converts to roughly £40 per person) which included entrance to the Lagoon plus a face mask (which you apply yourself whilst in the pool). There are higher priced entrances too which includes more if you like but we found the standard included enough. There is also a bar in the pool which you pay for using a wrist band so theres no worries of having to carry a purse around and risk getting your notes soggy haha. PLUS theres a great gift shop full of spa products near the exit.


o Bring your own towels
Luckily I read before going that unless you pay for a higher priced entrance fee then towels have a 'rent price.' We took two spare towels from our apartment we stayed in which unfortunately ended up being as white as the ones the Lagoon provided, meaning it was quite hard to find your own one on the hangers when getting out. I definitely suggest taking maybe something brightly coloured and distinctive. As standing in the minus numbers looking for your towel in only a bikini is PAINFUL.

o Have a fully charged phone
I was a bit skeptical about taking my phone into the pool, but with free WiFi which reaches anywhere around the pool, it was hard to resist. I spent the first half an hour with one hand freezing out of the water keeping my phone above water level. But at the bar they sell waterproof phone cases which are AMAZING. I purchased one for around £20 and it was worth every penny. You'll definitely want photos whilst in the Lagoon, and the WiFi means you can facetime your family. We did this and they all loved and appreciated it. I would definitely recommend doing so as it's a experience you may never get to do again!

o Buy a waterproof phone case 
If you want photos this is a must!

o Take lots of piccys!
The Blue Lagoon is an amazing experience and one you'll definitely want to remember. We took a few selfies and some candid etc, and the Lifeguards around the edge are also happy to take a photo for you if you want some together. But don't forget to also enjoy the experience..once you've got all the pictures you want, leave your phone in it's case hanging round your neck.



o Take advantage of the free face mask
Theres a lady that floats around with a bowl of face mask mixture or you can swim over to another little bar in the middle to collect some. You can put on as much as you want and it's made completely from natural sources. It dries very hard but you can just use the Lagoon water to wipe it off, and you're face feels great afterwards. 


o Drink lots
The water can naturally reach very high temperatures of 37-40 degrees, so drinking is important! The bar is easy to get too (although you can't really see it at first because of all the steam haha!) and theres plenty of choices. We went for a smoothie which we shared and it was SO refreshing.

o Keep your hair out the water!!!
I cannot stress this one enough. We were warned by a lady that worked there not to get your hair wet and I'm glad I listened to her! I showered once back to our apartment (although you can shower at the Lagoon...the queues are quite long though) and the underneath of my hair that had fallen out my bun had got wet, and then dried on the way home and oh my god I cannot even describe how DRY and gross my hair felt.
The Lagoon water is very salty, so imagine getting your hair wet at the beach and then times that by 100. I ended up stupidly trying to brush it and then having to yank the brush out of my hair after it got stuck.

o CONDITION YOUR HAIR
Maybe even take a hair mask on holiday with you just for this. I sat with conditioner in my hair for almost half an hour to try and get the dryness out and I only got a few strands wet!

o Don't bother taking a large camera or a GoPro
The water is merky - you can't even see your body underneath it so theres no point trying to get a good picture or video using a GoPro underwater. We saw a few people using them to take above water photos - which I guess is a good idea but then you have your phone for that. Big cameras will probably stress you out simply from the fear of dropping them in the water. I saw a group of girls with one taking photos and I was cringing at how wet and steamy the lens looked, eeek.

o Bring warm clothes for afterwards
By this point you'll probably already know that wearing warm clothes in Iceland is a get-go anyway but I definitely thanked myself later for bringing a nice warm jumper to wear after getting out.
The heat in the lagoon keeps you soo toasty, but the walk back to the changing rooms is not to fun and its that sort of cold that gets you right to your bones - especially when you've just spent the last two hours in 40 degree water!
It was lovely to get dry and into a jumper thick coat for the bus journey back.


We had the most amazing few hours at The Blue Lagoon, and for me personally it was my favourite day from the whole holiday.
I hope this has helped if you're thinking of travelling to Iceland and visiting the Lagoon.

Have you ever been here before?

Molly
xox

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/14375113/?claim=tfbmh23c5kr">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

Where else to find me - 

Twitter - @mollydotw
Instagram - @riddikulus___
&
@mollydotw
Photography Instagram - @captured_by_molly
Photography page - Facebook 'Captured by Molly' 













No comments:

Post a Comment