Friday 30 September 2016

Quitting My Job


At school we are asked at a young age 'what do you want to be when you're older?' and things such as 'a footballer, a princess, an astronaut, a famous actress' were call given as answers and to us - at the time - it seemed like a realistic and doable thing because becoming an astronaut is easy peasy right?!

As we got older and the question was asked again the answers became a bit more sensible, 'a chef, a doctor, a vet, a teacher' and then decisions were made on what subjects we should take at school to then progress on and get the grades we need to do these jobs for the future.
For me the question 'what do you want to be when your older?' was always answered with 'an author' when I was much younger and then changed to 'an Animal Carer' as I got a bit older.
But I always always found it hard to answer - and would envy anyone who knew the answer straight away every time they were asked.

The animal care job was in reality a lot more realistic than being an author so after I wasted my subject options at school because I had no idea on what to take I decided to go ahead - leave school and study animal care at college.
I loved the course and was sure this was what I wanted to do - and also part of me felt like I now HAD to work in this industry because I'd spent two years studying it at college.

And now here I sit at twenty years old - two years after finishing my animal care course - still not working for any company animal related (after many many applications - most of which ignored which I find SO rude) trying to figure out what I want to do with my life.


Oh.
And I quit my job yesterday.
I was working in a theme park - it was supposed to be progressing me in my love of photography (because I kind of started giving up on the animal care job hunt) as the original position I applied for was 'Official Park Photographer' but as time went on I realised they weren't giving me this opportunity and I was basically being shoved on any old thing they wanted me on - including operating rides and rollar coasters which gave me constant worry and anxiety and hated it. (I am not going to be naming any companies in this post as its my personal opinions and I don't want to be that person).
So after booking some time off to be with my boyfriend and basically being conned out of a weeks pay (don't even ask its crazy and makes me really wonder how managers sleep at night aha)  and then receiving a new rota through with only two days of work (a Saturday and a Sunday may I just add) when I'm supposed to be a full time worker - I got to the end of my tether and wrote out my notice, drove to work and handed it in and came away with the feeling of huge sense of relief.
I am lucky enough to have another job lined up which my sister has helped me sort out in the company she works for and although its only for a couple of months over Christmas I'm SO excited to start (especially as it consists of putting up Christmas decorations and a Santa's grotto, and then working as an elf in the grotto!!!) but at the same time in the back of my mind is still that same stupid question
 'what do you want to be when you're older?'
and I start to worry that I'll never know the answer, and the more I worry the worse it gets to find the answer.

Does anyone else know what I mean?

I am all for 'all things happen for a reason' and 'you'll find your job eventually' like I'm told every time I mention this to anybody but scrolling through Facebook and seeing everybody else working abroad, and progressing in all these amazing jobs it makes me feel quite rubbish you know?

Anybody else been through/going through this?


<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/14375113/?claim=tfbmh23c5kr">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>


Where else to find me - 

Twitter - @daffodilsdaisys

Instagram - @riddikulus___




4 comments:

  1. Youre only 20, like me, we've got a lot of time ahead of us, i dont think we're supposed to have it figured out yet, those who do are super lucky, things will work themselves out for sure :)
    But might i add, good for you girl, im so scared to quit my job, mainly a fear of change, so you go, dont let anyone take you for a fool xx

    Dana x
    fashiondew.co.uk | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear, I'm always feeling like I'm the only one who hasn't got it figured out yet you know?
      I spoke to my parents and boyfriend before quitting as it's soo helpful to get different opinions but if you're not enjoying your job - I say go for it! Lifes too short to be in a job you don't like.
      Goodluck!
      xox

      Delete
  2. Ugh, sounds like a brilliant thing that you quit your job, it sounded awful! I'm 22 and I still don't know what I'm doing. I've wanted to be a writer since I was 8, as I've been writing stories and novels since, but in the last year I'd rather be a full time blogger as all my free time goes into it. I still love to write novels, but I love to blog even more. These are quite 'unrealistic' career goals, but who cares? It's what I wanna do and I'm not really happy doing anything else! I hope your new job works out well for you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anybody really knows what they want to do - and if they do then they are really very lucky! Full time blogging sounds amazing!! I would love to do the same. Maybe unrealistic but it gives us something to work towards right? :) xox

      Delete